A Quick Visual

As soon as we get back I'm giving him a bloody moustache!

:D True, what is Tom Selleck without them?!

Does anyone else have a feeling that aliens are not aware of your existence until you "activate" them (the action camera close-up)? Not even when their comrades are getting killed a car away?

And, what is the explanation?

It's just the way Firaxis made the game. Jake and the others have said that the maps are preset and the aliens (or groups of aliens) patrol a certain area of each map. They will react when they see one of your soldiers, or (apparently) hear them running, smashing windows, firing weapons etc. I admit I've not see aliens react like that yet, but jake has also said that for the sake of balance, if aliens all made a bee line for your squad then every map would descend into a desperate last stand like scenario as your squad will generally always be outnumbered. If that happened every map I guess the game wouldn't be all that much fun to play!

Fairly sure that Jake spoke about it at length in the RPS interviews, or possibly the PAX videos.

Ah, true, I remember something to that effect. Thanks, Sorbicol - and Silencer. As long as each group gives a challenge, I'm ok with this mechanics. What is cool is that if you try to flank too far, you might trigger another group and get more than you bargained for.

So, map edges remain very important, just like in the original, he he he!

The best mission to see is that terror mission from pax. The aliens flooded them there.

I agree. I think we have to remember with all these videos that they are from the preview build, and they are early missions in the game. That terror mission looked a lot tougher with a lot more aliens on the map. I hope that just the difficultly curve in the game in action. It gets harder as time progresses, bu the better prepared your squad will be to deal with it

Nice to see someone with a working understanding of tactics playing the game though! That looked better with more Aliens coming forward. Like the OXM vid too where he used a grenade to blow up a vehicle. Not considered that as a tactic before. Mmmm. Wonder what a well placed missile would do?