The Dosbox silver screen

NKF

Thought I'd give the dosbox video capture utility a whirl. The thought of recording one of my X-COM missions to review at a later stage did intrigue me a bit. This is all new to me so I have a few questions for those that are familiar with it:

Is there a limit to how much you can record? I seem to be able to record about 4 minutes of video and then it starts to crawl the game down to a halt. Stopping and starting again sets things right but splits the video.

Is there a way to reduce the file size? I'm not overly happy with having a 70 megabyte file just for 4 minutes of 320x200x256 video. Is there a way to compress or maybe convert the video into a smaller lossy format? Since I'm on dial-up I don't normally peruse YouTube, but if I ever do decide to use it to upload my recordings for others to view, uploading such a large file is a bit off putting.

Finally is there a way to pipe other audio sources into the video? I thought it would fun to play a classical number like a midi version of Spring from the The Four Seasons while playing an X-Com battle to lighten the mood a little. ;)

I guess the real answer to all the of the above is to use a proper video editing suite.

- NKF