Valkyria Chronicles II

FullAuto

Apparently this is the sort of game Julian Gollop wanted to make! After the poor performance of VC on the PS3, they've taken the cheaper option and released the sequel on PSP. Turn-based, but when you move each unit it switches to third-person real-time, set in a twisted version of WWII Europe.

Review.

Two more days til release here in Europa. I can try and finish VC on Hard between now and then, right? Right?

Valkyria Chronicles II just hit the shelves in my shops. Got VC instead since it was half the price of VC II - and I thought it would be a better introduction to the series to play the first game. Any idea if VC II is going to get dual audio tracks?

- NKF

• 3 months later...

So, anyone playing this game? Is there like a fansite for this where people can share strategies and experiences?

I'm currently in March on what I believe last mission of the month (protect the APC vs some new guys: v2, dirge...). The game suddenly got a spike of difficulty just as I was thinking why is there no hard after normal (you do unlock hard after you beat the game right?).

I'm loving it!

It's pretty good. Some of the changes from VC have not been for the best (lack of permanent death, the smaller, divided-up maps) but it's still a nice new take on turn-based war.

The characters, being essentially Japanese schoolkids, have also taken a hit, although quite frankly it's better than the bigotry that scarred VC's cast. I have no problems with the depicted racial hatred, it is an issue games simply pretend doesn't exist, but making the racist characters compulsory choices for your unit was a pain.

Couple hours ago I managed to beat that mission. Hurray! It took me quite a lot of tries considering previous missions and my exp with turn-based tactical games.

I haven't really grinded, but for that mission I decided to replay previous ones just to get my classes upgraded (Avan -> Sniper, Anisette -> Gunner, Noel -> Mortar). And basically only useful upgrade in that mission was having a sniper.

April time :P

I really like the chemistry between squad members. Various potential triggers etc. That would be awesome in an x-com game. Players would connect even more to squad members that survive being a rookie (in x-com).

Unfortunately I feel like I'm using 10 characters out of many more...