StarCraft 2 vs Freespace 2

Not sure how the comparison is even remotely relevant, but it's an interesting article.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03/04...e-2/#more-26237

But the most important thing, it brought to my attention that the Freespace 2 Source Code Project and Babylon Project have already (about 1-2 years ago?) reached final stage :) Time to fetch my Freespace 2 copy and play one of the finest space flight sims out there! :)

Freespace 2 Sourcecode Project

The Babylon Project

It's amazing how the fanbase has ensured that they have to essentially remake the game, rather than make a new one.

The problem with making a "new" game is that it wouldn't be a StarCraft game. That is to say, a different game demands a different title.

After all, the people most interested in sequels are those who actually played the earlier games in a series. In this particular example, the "earlier game" was dead good - if 2 manages to capture the same "feel", first time players will enjoy it too.

Incedently, there was a "different" StarCraft game in the works - Ghost. Woulda been a third person shooter for consoles. Will probably never be released, at this rate. Suspect it woulda been a good game in it's own right, despite bearing no resemblance to an RTS.

Why not? SC1 was an awesome game, seeing it receive a face lift would be nice :)

Because I already played it through... And because I got completely fed up with traditional RTS games after Warcraft 3. I know SC has the upper edge in balancing three really different races but in the end it still boils down to clicks per second and knowing building/unit queue by heart.

Ghost might as well be canceled. It certainly won't see the light of day in it's original form. But Blizzard is that unique sort of company that doesn't need to pay attention to such silly things as "deadlines" and "budgets" - anything's possible.

... Haven't ever played FarCry, isn't that game like over a half a decade old by now? :)

Because I already played it through... And because I got completely fed up with traditional RTS games after Warcraft 3. I know SC has the upper edge in balancing three really different races but in the end it still boils down to clicks per second and knowing building/unit queue by heart.

Well, the same could be said about an X-Com remake, couldn't it? most of us know it by heart, but would still sacrifice a virgin to get a full blown modern remake :)

Well, the same could be said about an X-Com remake, couldn't it?

NO! Blasphemy! Never clicks per second, NEVER. And that is the main grievance I have with RTS. Otherwise I would gladly play even a remake.

As far as virgins go... I don't know, IMO games can wait. :)

This should explain my point, BB.

Far Cry 1 was about genetic experiments by a mad scientist on an island in the middle of an ocean somewhere crawling with genetic mutants.

Far Cry 2 was about diamonds. In the middle of Africa. And plain, ordinary humans.

NO! Blasphemy! Never clicks per second, NEVER. And that is the main grievance I have with RTS. Otherwise I would gladly play even a remake.

As far as virgins go... I don't know, IMO games can wait. :)

My comment was aimed at your "because I already played it" part of the comment, not the second, that's just a matter of tastes :)