18 members have voted

1. 1. Own

• X-Com: UFO (DOS)
    • X-Com: UFO CE (Windows)
    • X-Com: Terror From the Deep (DOS)
    • X-Com: Terror From the Deep (Windows)
    • Steam (includes DOS and Windows exe)
    • D2D (dont know what it includes)
    • GamersGate (dont know what it includes)
    • Other
  2. 2. Play

• X-Com: UFO (DOS)
    • X-Com: UFO CE (Windows)
    • X-Com: Terror From the Deep (DOS)
    • X-Com: Terror From the Deep (Windows)
    • Steam (includes DOS and Windows exe)
    • D2D (dont know what it includes)
    • GamersGate (dont know what it includes)
    • Other
  3. 3. Operating System you play on

• DOS (oooooh.. blinking cursors!)
    • Windows 9x
    • XP
    • Vista/Windows 7
    • DosBox

Own DOS/CE + Steam versions of UFO/TFTD (plus various other X-COM games not included in the poll ;) ).

"Play" UFO CE, for want of a better term. "Experiment on" would probably be more suitable in my particular case. :D

Typically end up using XP. 9x is now too old even for me due to lack of up-to-date software that's still compatible (still handy for playing the likes of Tyrian 2k, so I've still got some suitable machines in a pile somewhere), and Vista/7 sux0rz.

(Though I now have the (mis)fortune of owning a laptop with 7 on it, and haven't entirely made up my mind on whether to wipe the operating system and replace with something else. Not sure if I can, due to drivers... and if I can work out how to get the mangled version of Windows Explorer back into functional shape, I'd probably be happy enough).

The operating environment selection are radio buttons, not check boxes. Makes it difficult to vote when you alternate between various environments to play the games in. :D

- NKF

What, no Apoc love? D:

Anyhow, right now just messing with Apoc; got an old CE of UFO/TFTD laying around somewhere that I haven't bothered trying to get to work yet.

Nope no Apoc love. XcomUtil is for Xcom 1 and 2 only so I was not thinking about Apoc when I made this up. It has been a heck of a job getting all the possible setups to work with XcuSetup thus far. I suspect it will still work in DOS 6.22. It probably will not work in *nix with Wine any more. And I have no intent on putting together the test system. I expect there is enought Steam users so I'm working on that right now. But I have no clue how the other distro's are setup. If there alot of users on D2D or GamerGate I will look into putting something in to help the lay person.

I basically own every physical version you could imagine and then some. The only one I do not have is Gamer's Gate. Technically I don't own the Steam version either - it's just a test version from way back when. :D

As for which versions I "play", 99% of the time it's the windows/Gold/CE. Like Bomb Bloke, I test more than play for fun. ;)

XP is my standard operating system as it is tried and true. I'd eventually like to upgrade to Windows 7, but until MS comes out with a direct patch from XP-->7, I'm sticking with what I have. :)

- Zombie

I basically own every physical version you could imagine and then some.

I dont suppose you have the Spanish version? and the 1.2a? I'm looking for Geo and Tactical for those. I'm also looking for the readme.txt for each release. I have the 1.3, found the 1.2 on Usenet. and I know somewhere there was a list of what TFTD beta fixed. However the way-back machine only goes to 1996 on Microprose.com and i came up dry on Usenet.

I have windows 7 x64 (and actually really like it), but also have a desktop with windows xp pro x64 on it. The only problem with the operating system is I have to use a patched version of CE to play the CE version, and that one only runs a couple of times before it requires me to restart my computer to play again. So, that's lame. It did, however, drive me to playing the dos versions via dosbox, which run very well. Considering that's what I first played, it's pretty cool to go back to it. I have the steam version of TFTD, which is the dos version, so that's why I said I have that as well. Granted, I don't play that all that often, but I do play it every once in a while.

I have windows 7 x64 (and actually really like it), but also have a desktop with windows xp pro x64 on it. The only problem with the operating system is I have to use a patched version of CE to play the CE version, and that one only runs a couple of times before it requires me to restart my computer to play again. So, that's lame. It did, however, drive me to playing the dos versions via dosbox, which run very well. Considering that's what I first played, it's pretty cool to go back to it. I have the steam version of TFTD, which is the dos version, so that's why I said I have that as well. Granted, I don't play that all that often, but I do play it every once in a while.

If you run the CE version on 7 you can use the Vista fix, it's an OS Shim and should not suffer the memory leak that f0dders loader (that "patched file") has.

-Blade FireLight

I first played Xcom on the Playstation then bought a CE collection of the first three games for the PC,which even under XP was unplayable..It seemed to want a Windows95-98 operating system.

I have just restarted playing the Playstation version and still can't get the CE Version to work even with compatability settings.The worst is Appocalypse,At least UFo defense runs with no sound,all Appoc does is give me a message that the PC doesn't have the specs to run the game. :D

I first played Xcom on the Playstation then bought a CE collection of the first three games for the PC,which even under XP was unplayable..It seemed to want a Windows95-98 operating system.

I have just restarted playing the Playstation version and still can't get the CE Version to work even with compatability settings.The worst is Appocalypse,At least UFo defense runs with no sound,all Appoc does is give me a message that the PC doesn't have the specs to run the game. :D

Checkup the support section of the forum. there are plenty of info on how to get all the games to run on newer computers. Appoc will require DosBox and there are patch for graphics issues for XP and Vista/win7. If you have an extra 15 to burn you can get the STEAM X-Com Collection, they are pre-setup with DosBox or a XP patched EXE. You still need the Vista patch for Vista and Win7 tho. Check the File section for that.

Checkup the support section of the forum. there are plenty of info on how to get all the games to run on newer computers. Appoc will require DosBox and there are patch for graphics issues for XP and Vista/win7. If you have an extra 15 to burn you can get the STEAM X-Com Collection, they are pre-setup with DosBox or a XP patched EXE. You still need the Vista patch for Vista and Win7 tho. Check the File section for that.

I've been thinking about buying it.Maybe i haven't because i can play the first game just fine on the PS2.I never played TFTD,but did play Appoc and the later game was so predictable.All the enemies showed up in the same exact spots,and grouped upped,during missions.

I've been thinking about buying it.Maybe i haven't because i can play the first game just fine on the PS2.I never played TFTD,but did play Appoc and the later game was so predictable.All the enemies showed up in the same exact spots,and grouped upped,during missions.

If I recall either Real-Time or Turn-Based of them had a bug that made it so you just line up your men and they run in front of you like it's hogan's ally.