LucasArts X-Wing and Tie Fighter coming back?

adamsolo

Yestarday I stumbled in a possible rumor, or rather teaser annoucement by LucasArts, in G4 TV, that the X-Wing and Tie Fighter series could come back in the near future.

Patrick Klepek from G4TV reports the following, as part of an interview he did with the LucasArts president Darrel Rodriguez about plans ahead:

That would be insanely great. I never understood why they didn't make more in this vein, though I suppose they'd consider it a niche area.

Can you imagine how good thinks would look nowadays though? They'd just have to remember not to over-do the graphics on some missions as I recall a mission at the end of Tie Fighter Collector's CD with something silly like 100 ships on screen and that kind of killled my processor at the time ;)

Let us know if you come across any other interesting news on this or other games.

Well I was happy for about 20 minutes there at least ;)

You could make those games so epic nowadays, and they were pretty vast then, but can you imagine things like having to come down through a planet's atmosphere or something or navigating a beautifully-rendered asteroid belt on a mission where you have to blast a path for a cruiser or something? No end of potential for scenarios where you get that old, faithful Star Wars line "it's a trap!"