The $17,500 Video Game

Zombie

I just ran across an article on Yahoo about a guy buying the "Holy Grail" of video games - a super-duper rare (only 26 copies made) Nintendo cartridge:

Think $60 video games are too expensive? You won't hear any argument from us, but you might from JJ Hendricks, a collector who just paid a clinically insane $17,500 for an obscure NES game from 1990.

The game in question is an ultra-rare, gold-colored version of Nintendo World Championships, a cartridge specially produced for use in a Nintendo-sponsored gaming contest. According to Wikipedia only 26 were created, and Hendricks calls it the "Holy Grail" of video game collectors.

The game itself has a time limit of just 6 minutes and 21 seconds and consists of three short segments from other NES games: Super Mario Bros., Tetris, and Rad Racer. Players are scored according to their performance in each game, and their scores are totaled once the time limit expires. Doesn't sound too riveting to us, but then somehow we doubt Hendricks is in it for the gameplay.

And while $17,500 might seem a bit much for a collection of ones and zeroes, Hendricks actually got a bargain: the game was originally listed on eBay for a cool $25,000.

See? It pays to put in an offer on the low side sometimes. To be honest though, if I had the money this guy wouldn't have won. I'd have put in an offer of $20,000 if I knew that it was authentic. :)

Take a look at this article in which the author dives into the specifics. Good read. :)

Crikey, and I thought paying $100 for a hard to find X-COM title was a lot of money... :P

- Zombie

Serious collectors are a slightly mad bunch who can put high values (and not just in monetary value) on objects that may seem insignificant to others. :P

You must admit that those with wads of money do have a big advantage.

- NKF

Surely, for less than that, you could donwload the rom, find a blank NES cartridge and load the game onto it, then spray paint it gold, etc etc?

It wouldn't be authentic then, just a forgery. And forgeries have little to no value most often. It's basically an investment, but one that seems a little nuts from the surface granted. I guarantee you this: when the economy picks up the value of that game will probably skyrocket. :) That's the only reason I myself would consider scooping it up: to sell it again at a later date for more money by exploiting people's desire to collect. Hehe. :P

- Zombie

FullAuto could do you a convincing looking Picasse if you ask him nicely. Then you've just got to find that "Mad as a Box of Frogs" person who'll buy it and it doesn't matter if it's a forgery.

As long as you didn't give out your real name or adress, and skipped the country with the few million quid.

Not saying you come from a dodgy part of the country FA but... no, actually you do :P:)

....I wish I had a come back to that one, but it's true. :P

It wouldn't be authentic then, just a forgery. And forgeries have little to no value most often. It's basically an investment, but one that seems a little nuts from the surface granted. I guarantee you this: when the economy picks up the value of that game will probably skyrocket. blink.gif That's the only reason I myself would consider scooping it up: to sell it again at a later date for more money by exploiting people's desire to collect. Hehe. laugh.gif

But it'd be functionally identical, and from the way these people go on it's not money that motivates them, they really are affectionate towards these games. I can understand a sound investment, mind.

and from the way these people go on it's not money that motivates them, they really are affectionate towards these games.

Isn't that the definition of a "Fan"? Actually more of a hard-core fan, but a fan nonetheless... :P

- Zombie

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...