New Monkey Island

Played any of their other stuff?

Apparently Tales has had input from Ron Gilbert, the team is mostly made up of people who made the first three MI games, and I think the bloke who wrote Day of the Tentacle is in there as well. Should be good.

I played the start of the new Sam & Max. The humour is still up my alley, but I can contain my enthusiasm for the 3d graphics. It also felt a little simple (one solution to the riddles etc.), but then again I only played for a little while. From what I hear Sam & Max is good, so I'll surely go back (it was fun), and I think there can be little doubt these guys care deeply for the game. This combined with what you say makes me optimistic :)

• 2 weeks later...

There's definitely an audience for these games on the consoles, even if they're not big enough for a retail release. No shame in download only.

Interview with design director Dave Grossman.

Eurogamer: Does Guybrush really die and come back as a pirate god? Tell us about the story, Dave!

Dave Grossman: Sure. It's set a couple of years after Escape from Monkey Island. Guybrush is oming in to save the day, thwart Le Chuck's plans and rescue Elaine. In the course of doing that - and this is your introduction and tutorial mode for the game - you solve some puzzles and Guybrush showboats at exactly the wrong moment, messing something up.

He's trying to enchant this cutlass on the instructions of the Voodoo Lady and because he makes the substitution, things go a little bit wrong. LeChuck is just supposed to explode when [Guybrush] hits him with it, but instead, the voodoo part of him explodes and spreads all-over, and infects Guybrush's left hand with this weird LeChucky Pox. People around the Caribbean start catching this. You can see it in the air; it's like this green, swirly stuff. And they all start behaving a bit like LeChuck, including some of the people you've met before.

Each episode cliff-hangs into the next one, and we always leave you with some burning questions. There are lots of developments of trust: you have to work with people you don't like sometimes across the series. Everybody's got a take on this Pox and the cure. The line between good-side and evil-side is not so strikingly sharp.

• 3 weeks later...