Game of the Year?

FullAuto

Well? Which is your personal favourite game of 2008? Or is it yet to be released? Does the always-packed Christmas release schedule hold a game dear to your heart? Was there absolutely nothing at all that you liked this year? Or can you simply not decide (and if so, what can't you decide between?)?

Enough questions for one post? I think so.

Well, maybe it's a bit early for that, since there's still plenty of time left. I can't speak with a lot of authority, since I skipped on most if not all big games, but I can say with a fair bit of certainty that even if I had played them, the chances of me liking any of them more than Iji are virtually none, if only because of purely subjective reasons. Especially since Iji managed to get onto my list of favorite games which is very difficult. It's a shame people are not picking up on it, because it's truly excellent. And on top of all the goodness it's free.

In terms of quality games this year has been a disappointment. The closure of Flagship Studios isn't the catalyst, but the end result: Don't shovel crap on us, and don't hide behind your fanbois. I'm looking at you, LucasArts. Two words: Force. Unleashed. ;)

Red Alert 3, we'll have to see how it does. Still waiting to get my hands on a copy, but getting 3 patches in the first week of release alone doesn't make it look good, despite the incredibly long beta period.

I'll tell you what has been good investments for me, though. A lifetime sub to CheatHappens, for one. Tech Support and bug fixes for trainers, can't complain. :laugh:

The rest are indies.

Second, is UnReal World. I bought it around 15 or so years ago, and the guy is still releasing updates. That's dedication.

Third, Mount & Blade. It finally came out of beta in September. The combat engine is great, outside of combat it's still a little weak. A little hint, get the graphics mods. The vanilla textures are, to put it gently, HORRENDOUS.

End rant. *sigh*

• 6 months later...

Lots of Nintendo in there. I got bored when I didn't see X-COM after 20-odd titles. And at least two Halos. Seriously - they're not that good - Half Life 1 & 2 at least deserve to be there for being really groundbreaking.

Portal should have been in there high up too I reckon.

Agreed; and bloody Hell indeed - they can squeeze in _several_ Marios, two Halos, Resident Evils, Zeldas, two GTAs...

Halo ahead of Half-Life 2? System Shock 2 at #21 and Golden Eye at #10 ?! *puh-leease* Command and Conquer, ok... but no Dune II? Where's Full Throttle ? Where's... *gasps* Despicable...

::

It's absolutely inexcusable, by any criterion, not to see a _single_ X-Com listed.

When I saw Speedball 2 I was quite excited. There are some great games listed on there.

Okami is not only lovely to look at but a great RPG, the game's a bloody work of art. Alone in the Dark basically invented a genre. Ico was beautiful. Pro Evo's the best footie game about. Resi 2 was the apex of the series, captured the feeling of being in a zombie apocalypse. Elite!

But Daytona USA? Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Final Fantasy VIII? FIFA? Resi 4? Gears of War? THREE Metal Gear Solid games? Too many dubious strategy titles to mention? Quite a lot of them would win "Most advertised GOTY" certainly, but that's it.

There's also no Fallout. It was a nice surprise to see Sensible Soccer there.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There should be a rule that forbids current generation titles appearing on these lists. Or simply put: a game should be at least 5 years old before it can be voted for. That's my opinion anyway.