Skills

Strong Bob

Again, you are switching the subject to Mind Control instead of Panic Attacks!

Er, um, sorry about that. :P

So what you're saying is, the most powerful psi alien in the game can be psi'ed by a trooper straight out of psi training? :( Um, I think I've gotten lost somewhere... I've never had a 100% success rate, regardless of psi strenght/skill. Where's the random factor come in?

There is a random factor still...

Right?... :(

So what you're saying is, the most powerful psi alien in the game can be psi'ed by a trooper straight out of psi training? 

Yes, and no. The reason I can't be too specific is because it depends on the psionic capabilities of your soldier. According to my data, a soldier fresh out of psi training can have a psi skill of 16 to 24. The strongest psi alien, the Ethereal Commander, has a MCD of 2250. Your soldier would need to have a Psionic Combat Strength or PCS of at least 2251 to do this, and PCS is found by multiplying psi strength by psi skill. 2250/24 (the max psi skill after 1 month of training) = psionic strength of 93.75, or rounded 94.

94*24=2256; this is the PCS for a soldier with 94 psi strength and 24 for psi skill. 2256-2250 (the Ethereals MCD) = 6% chance! To increase the odds a bit let's increase the psionic strength of the soldier to 100. With a psionic skill of 23, your PCS becomes 2300. 2300-2250=50%. Maxing out the soldier with 100 for psi strength and 24 for psi skill yields 2400. 2400-2250=150% chance!

So yes, a soldier with one month of psi training under his belt has to have 94-97 for psionic strength (with psionic skill of 24) or at least a 23 for psi skill (with psionic strength of 98-100) to stand a chance of successfully Mind Controlling the Ethereal Commander! It is possible! :P

The random factor comes in when your soldier's PCS is close to an alien's MCD. Like within 99%. Remember from above: 94*24=2256, and 2256-2250=6%? This means you have a 6% chance of a successful attack. Or to put it another way only 6 attacks out of 100 will succeed! This is the random effect rearing its ugly head.

According to the OSG, distance plays a role in success too. The farther you get from the alien, the less the chance of success. How much an effect that distance plays has yet to be determined. I will maintain that distance plays a role until I find data that overturns it. Fair enough? :(