Terrain sizes

Hobbes

I'm designing a couple new buildings for UFO and I've wondered if anyone can help me with this. The Tactical area seems to vary between 40x40 and 60x60 tiles in dimensions. Probably it goes down to 30x30 if you're looking after the lost Apollo spacecraft relic, since when it's size always depends if there's an UFO parked.

Small craft seem to use a 40x40 map, but what about the medium, large and very large ones?

And what about the Terror Sites? They seemed to be 50x50 or 60x60, but lately I'm not sure of that last value.

And, besides the Alien and X-COM Bases, where do you get the 60x60 maps?

Anyone got a answer?

Don't forget the height. The largest map dimensions in UFO, 60 x 60, only get 2 levels, but 40 x 40 or 50 x 50 get 4 levels in all. (I actually prefer to refer to maps in modules)

The game has the capacity to take much larger maps, but some effects probably work beyond the first four levels.

- NKF

I think the height is irrelevant to tactical size, although there's a tile limit for each level. In practical terms the maximum dimensions are 60x60 (or 3600 tiles per level)....any more and the game will turn unstable.

I suspected that Battleships occupied a 50x50 terrain but I was hoping for more :power:

Meanwhile, I've finally found a way to use 40x40 buildings on UFO. The only problem is actually getting them because of the randomness and the space they occupy. A 60x60 terrain would work better, though.