Indefinite patrolling over cities?

Crafty

Hola. I was trying to prevent an alien infiltration of South Africa yesterday, shot down a terror ship and a supply ship. Figuring more were on the way, I sent a firestorm from AfriCom to patrol over the country. Thinking the very-small ufo emissary theoretically could head to one of the cities, I parked my firestorm directly-ish over Pretoria. I waited for it to run out of gas, but it didn't. The fuel was at 0%, but it was fine just hanging out. During the patrol time, it detected a new alien base, which I promptly took down. After about 10 days, the month ended, and SA was lost (along with Japan and France, you bastards), so I recalled the firestorm home.

Is this unusual? More importantly, is there any utility to parking your fighters out there? I didn't check to see if the firestorm had the juice to intercept a ufo after it was at zero fuel, I'll have to try that...

Ah, that sounds like the Infinite fuel exploit. Quite a handy way to extend the patrol time of your craft as well as being able to shoot down as many UFO's as your weapons can handle. I don't really use this exploit much except maybe for testing. (I mean, the Skyranger can stay in the air longer than any craft, so there isn't a reason to use the exploit but for Avengers it is great). :)

I don't know of any utilities to extend the range of your craft as those values are found in the executable. (This reminds me, I should check to see what happens when a craft has fuel edited to 0 or the max). :D

- Zombie