Is this cheating?

The Demi-Godly One

Answer this: Were you giving yourself an unfair advantage over your enemies?

Is it editing? By all means, yes. You're just changing the rules a bit.

Cheating? Handicapping yourself means you're consciously giving yourself a disadvantage - I wouldn't call that cheating. If you were to say handicap the aliens and not yourself, then yes that would be cheating.

Since you were downgrading your own weapons, then only you will be effected, but the effects of editing alien weapons is a double edged sword. On the one hand both sides end up using weaker plasma weapons - which is fair. On the other hand, the weaker plasma weapons may have a harder time of punching through power armour. This isn't really fair, but only if you don't downscale the armour as well.

Me, personally, rather than edit my weapons, I prefer to just put down the rifles and pick up the pistols instead. Then arm any new recruit with them and hope for the best. There's no need to edit anything if there are already weaker alternatives for you to choose from. It just takes a conscious effort to use them. :D

But no matter what, I refuse to use TFTD's dart pistol, even if just to make the game harder. I'd prefer to use reaction fire to shoot underwater-only weapons on land to using the dart pistols.

- NKF

Nah, I'll give it rest for a bit until everyone's forgotten about it. :D

There's only so many times I can mention it over and over until everyone starts groaning and then saying "What, again?".

- NKF

You know JFG, while I haven't really attempted it, that just actually might work. One soldier, a pistol and two grenades. Just a matter of racing through the first part to the exit pads, and then with luck, finding the theatre with the brain and then tossing a grenade up through the ceiling and nailing the brain without having to go through its horde of ethereal guards. That last bit might not be fair, but considering the scale of the assault, it levels out. :D

As always, it's easier said than done.

For those who want to try the challenge:

https://www.geocities.com/nkfarma/xchal/challenge.html

I do not take any responsibility for any players going mad with frustration when attempting the above challenge. :D

- NKF

And it's just been updated too! Now challenge is sleek sexy import with turbo handling. Call now, prices drop while you wait. Eliminates even the toughest stains! :D *

Er, actually I just added some hints. I've been planning to add them for quite some time. Reordered it a bit. New section on item weights and added minimum strength requirements for the suggested weapon sets (just so you know a soldier with that much strength will be able to carry all that junk I listed). Not sure if the update's made it any better, or worse.

Okay, enough about this, I think. Back to the discussion on ethics!

- NKF

* Lame attempt at a TF reference.

I'm all for alien xenocide, as long as they're being nasty to the jolly good addle-minded-mono-citizens of Earth! But, really, I was referring to gameplay ethics, you silly person. :D

It's really just deciding what's fair, what's not or placing it within the myriad of grey areas in between the two. Modifying a gun is one of those that can lie anywhere between the two extremes of the fairness spectrum.

- NKF

Aw shucks, NKF, Ah wuz jest playin it fer laughs!

But modding weapons to make them worse is handicapping yourself, making the game more difficult. It's the other end of the fairness spectrum from making them better, and a honourable step in the pursuit of providing oneself with a challenge.

Laser pistols are fine. They're pistols, after all. :D But if you feel it's far too powerful (it does feel a bit odd saying that), there's always other weapon combinations you can try.

Armour is entirely up to you.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...