What's your preferred RPG/FPS hybrid...?

Deus Ex or System Shock 2?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Deus Ex or System Shock 2?

• Deus Ex
    • System Shock 2

Deus Ex is my favourite game of all times, so far no game has outmatched it in my book, but I've heard a lot of people comparing it to System Shock 2, and even saying that it's not as good as that one, so, what do you say? I have played System Shock 2 too little to know if it's THAT good, but I want to know your opinions :eh:

Both games are very good games in their own rights. It's really hard to choose between the two. I mean, both games excel in many areas and fail in others, I find it easier to enjoy them both rather than put one before the other. So if you see it, get it, enjoy it.

But that's answer's no fun, is it? Hmm. Let's see.

Deus Ex allowed you to customise your character in a wider number of areas, such as in the area of stealth, and had lots of options in getting through certain obstacles (which I often solved by heaving out the rocket launcher and blasting the lock of whatever I was wanting to get into).

System Shock II's combat and movement, to me, feels a lot smoother and feels a lot more nutural than Deus Ex's. It's much more combat oriented than Deus Ex, which is closer to an RPG than System Shock II ever will be. I mean, System Shock II has no NPCs to speak of besides audio log disks, some addled techno tart talking directly into your head and enemies. The Macarena bots don't count.

The upgrades you could perform on JC and the various skills allowed for a richer choice in character development. Oh, sure, you'll eventually be able to do everything, or have alternatives to do others near the end, but it really controls how you easily, or hard, you progress through the first half of the game.

System Shock II is actually quite scary - until you get used to it and start saying things like "Oh, not another random spawning robo nurse".

Both games have good replay value where you can try going through the game by concentrating on pumping up different skills.

Hmm. I'm still undecided. I suppose I could say that I'd rather replay these two games a lot more frequently that Deus Ex Invisible War - which was okay, but doesn't quite satisfy.

- NKF

I haven't played System Shock II enough either, and therefore voted for Deus Ex. The game is so good I even forget to yell at the AI! Of course, playing the demo for Invisible War was THE disappointment of my life gaming vise.

Anyway, I'll get hold of SSII at some point, to see if it changes my vote. Doubt it however, as Deus Ex is THAT good.

I haven't played System Shock II enough either, and therefore voted for Deus Ex. The game is so good I even forget to yell at the AI! Of course, playing the demo for Invisible War was THE disappointment of my life gaming vise.

Anyway, I'll get hold of SSII at some point, to see if it changes my vote. Doubt it however, as Deus Ex is THAT good.

Ah, and you didn't even play the whole game! Invisible War was as well the biggest gaming disappointment I've ever had, not a sequel I expected so much and was put out so quick. The end(s) suck, hard.

While on the subject, regarding System Shock II - I can install it fine on my XP pc, but DirectX seems to fail at creating the primary drawing surface. Someone here mentioned some means of getting System Shock II to run on more modern PCs. Any leads would be appreciated.

I can run it fine on my older PCs - it would just be convenient to be able to play it on a 2.4ghz processor and a slightly better graphics card than the others.

- NKF