Star Trek: Legacy

This really sounds exciting! been waiting for a decent ST game since StarFleet Command III :eh:

Star Trek: Legacy Confirmed

Bethesda reveals its real-time tactical combat title and its exclusive Star Trek license.

by David Adams

January 24, 2006 - Last week, we reported strong evidence that Bethesda Softworks was set to publish a new Star Trek title from Mad Doc Software, creators of Star Trek Armada II. Turns out the rumors were right on: Bethesda today announced Star Trek: Legacy for PC and Xbox 360, slated for release this September.

The title is part of a new agreement with CBS Consumer Products gives Bethesda exclusive rights, across all platforms, to publish games based on the entire Star Trek franchise. (The Star Trek MMO project in development at Perpetual Entertainment is excepted from this agreement.)

Star Trek: Legacy will put players in command of small- and large-scale battles as Admiral of a fleet of warships. The game offers real-time, three-dimensional tactical combat with detailed ships, full damage modeling, and "spectacular" visual effects. Along with a single-player campaign, Legacy includes multiplayer support -- whether in small battles or full wars spanning multiple star systems.

Perhaps most exciting for Star Trek fans, Legacy's story will span the entire Star Trek timeline: all eras -- the original series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise -- are represented.

Also under its new agreement with CBS, Bethesda will also publish Star Trek: Tactical Assault, a strategy title for PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS.

"Being able to work with the entire universe of this beloved series is an incredibly exciting opportunity for us," said Bethesda's Todd Vaughn. "We have some great ideas about where we want to go with this license and having the exclusive right to develop and publish Star Trek games across all platforms ensures that every Star Trek game will be a quality game worthy of its name."

We'll be back with plenty more on Star Trek: Legacy as new details come in. Meantime, check out two first screens from the game.

https://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/703/703415/star-trek-legacy-20060426033438060.jpg

https://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/703/703415/star-trek-legacy-20060426033436045.jpg

Anyone else remember when Star Trek was about space exploration? :eh:

On a more serious note, it's been my (somewhat limited) experience that games designed for PC and a console tend to be a little dumbed down. For example, when Microsoft stopped creating new MechWarrior games after the hugely successful MechWarrior4: Mercenaries, they brought out MechAssault on the XBOX which is geared solely towards blowing the crap out of other online players with no realy storyline involved.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but this sounds very similar.

The last Star Trek games (strangely so cause they're old now I guess) that I felt I thoroughly enjoyed were the two old adventure titles - 25th Anniversary thing and Judgement Rights.

I wonder if they'd ever consider trying to merge fleet/empire managing tactics with the kind of adventuring those two games had.

note: never checked out the DS9 or TNG adventure ones though.

I'm generally miffed that the adventure type stuff isn't as prominant as it used to be - buried by first person only or strategy games. It just seems that this universe in particular could stand a resurgance of it.

Aye - I loed 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites, and even the extremely difficult Next Generation: A Final Unity, which carried on the spirit and great storylines of the Star Trek adventure games marvellously!

To be honest, ANY company to release a new adventure game of this type would have their very own corner of the market. I've not heard of any new titles in this genre for at least five years, and since graphics nowadays are pretty damned good they'd be excellent.

Well, it seems like ages have gone by since I've bought and played "NG: A Final Unity". And I do believe you're right, Pete - tough bone to pick, that one... :)

::

Hand me a Tricorder, the game's box is looking suspiciously unchanged by time! :eh::P

Yea, that's what was fun about those games, the gadgets and the story. The combat sequences were fun too, in that you didn't need a joystick, you could do it with a mouse. In that aspect, I suppose its best in space combat at least, to revert to first/third person. Although, its fun to see everything around yourself and your group, so keeping things still point and click is important too.

My favorite memory is of the first game and mission, the one where you don't phaser the mountain right (but you can for a nicer outcome) where a redshirt buys it saving the captain is priceless :)

Remember, don't phaser the bottom rocks first :D

• 4 weeks later...
These Legay screens with the shields on and such remind me of Nexus:The Jupiter Incident a lot. Can anybody tell me what the main difference between Nexus and this game would be? Because what I see is that as you progress you get command points to upgrade your systems etc. and that is EXACTLY as it was in Nexus.

These Legay screens with the shields on and such remind me of Nexus:The Jupiter Incident a lot. Can anybody tell me what the main difference between Nexus and this game would be? Because what I see is that as you progress you get command points to upgrade your systems etc. and that is EXACTLY as it was in Nexus.

Well, the shield effects were already there since Bridge Commander. And the command points are most likely ported from the Starfleet Command prestige points system.

But the damage points look pretty interesting. Are those bits of hull being scattered into the void? :P

Wonder if it's PhysX compatible?

My favorite memory is of the first game and mission, the one where you don't phaser the mountain right (but you can for a nicer outcome) where a redshirt buys it saving the captain is priceless :P

Haha! I remember that. I was 9 years old when I first played that game. I remember after the ensign got killed by the rock, I tried leaving the room and walking back in, hoping he'd be alive again. Console games made an idiot out of me...

My favorite memory is of the first game and mission, the one where you don't phaser the mountain right (but you can for a nicer outcome) where a redshirt buys it saving the captain is priceless :P

Haha! I remember that. I was 9 years old when I first played that game. I remember after the ensign got killed by the rock, I tried leaving the room and walking back in, hoping he'd be alive again. Console games made an idiot out of me...

What was great about the game, again going back to the gadgets thing for a moment, was that, even if you were just a casual viewer of any of the Trek shows and films, all you had to remember was how to use them.

My second run through the game I remember just scanning everything with both Spock's tricorder and Bones' medical tricorder.

Mostly just to see what was different, but it was neat to see different outcomes, the failures and the "real" way :P It began to feel like you were watching a new episode with the later.

On another note, its a great pity about the Vulcan's Fury game. Apparently they had all the voice work done with the cast and a wonderful game trailer video but it got canned.

I think I may still have that trailer buried somewhere on one of my old hard drives I used to have on my pitiful 133 mhz machine.

• 2 weeks later...