New X-Com on the way

Pherdnut

I would have put this in news, but I can't post there for some reason. I used to write for Game Informer Magazine. Googlestalk my nick over at their forums if you want to see for yourselves. Anyway, one of my old cohorts over there told me that somebody is going to be showing a new X-Com game at E3.

I would have put this in news, but I can't post there for some reason. I used to write for Game Informer Magazine. Googlestalk my nick over at their forums if you want to see for yourselves. Anyway, one of my old cohorts over there told me that somebody is going to be showing a new X-Com game at E3.

Only the admins and Core Staff may post it in the news, and I believe they'd prefer to wait an official confirmation before posting such news in the portal. This is, however, great news if true! I am really looking forward to the E3 now, as this would probably be the only game I'd be waiting for :lovetammy:

Ohh, that would certainly be very good news. :lovetammy: How come he didn't tell you who it is that'll be showing the game on E3?

Edit: Are you sure he knows the difference between X-COM and UFO:A...? Because a lot of reviewers don't. Just being careful. :D

Pherdnut, do you have any more information about this?

ALTAR are planning to exhibit UFO: Afterlight at E3. As the UFO series is sometimes described as the spiritual successor to X-Com, I suspect that some confusion has set in.

The similarities between X-Com and UFO aren't too surprising as UFO: Aftermath started out as the doomed X-Com Genesis project several years before ALTAR took it on and redid the project from scratch.

As I said before, I hope you're right Pherdnut. We do not post rumours as news however, even if from a good source.

As for thinking UFO: Afterlight is the one, I'd be surprised if someone was stupid enough to think that the THIRD game in the series is the next X-COM. UFO: Extraterrestrials however might be shown at E3, and I see how someone could mistake it for the next X-COM...

Well, the editor in question was a big fan of the original on the PlayStation, so I think he knows the difference. He also knows I'm a big freak for the series. He said he heard about it in a phone conversation so maybe he doesn't want it linked to him if they haven't told anybody else yet. Not sure though. And no, we didn't have that conversation on April 1st. In any case, keep your fingers crossed 'til people start announcing their E3 lineups (some don't until the show starts).

Nah. Would be highly suprised at anything of the sort. One of the X-Com sites such as here, XCommand and XCOMufo would have heard even whispers of rumours before now. Unless this is a whisper of a rumour.

As much as I'd like to see Alliance, DH did a good job of ending XCAS, so the Alliance Storyline has been set in my head since then :lovetammy:

Hmm, if it is true, then it's most likely Sid. As far as I know, he isn't doing much right now (or was he transferring Civ 4 to Macs?), so I guess it's possible. We'll just have to wait and see. :lovetammy:

If there is a new X-Com game in the pipeline, it would be very interesting to see who is behind it. Atari, who hold the rights, haven't shown any interest in producing a new game up to now, and anybody else who wants to do a commercial X-Com game would have to pay Atari for the rights.

I believe Sid Meier is working on the new Railroads game. Either way, as Mouse says, he usually does historical games. I've read several interviews with him lately, and that's what he says. The way he works is that he starts with a subject he'd like to do a game on (railroads for instance), and then finds out what sort of gameplay would fit.

Anyway, E3 is near, and so is the truth :eh:

Maybe you knew already that Take 2 Interactive is making addon for Civ4 called Warlords (https://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=13). I dunno is Sid himself with the project because addon *just* adds new civilizations, units and scenarios. This ought to be released on summer.

Could Sid move to scifi-stuff, ask him Slaughter about that. And make sure that "NO" is not taken for an answer! :eh:

• 3 weeks later...

Can't risk going back to TTD just yet - unfortunately I've got precious little time to spare having just got my first house and I wouldn't want to risk death-by-girlfriend by putting my PC first (well, I do spend a lot of time on it anyway, but I wouldn't want to push it much further :P).

Ask me again in a few months time :P