Interesting interview with Sid Meier

Slaughter

Really interesting.

But I think there are a lot of opportunities for the PC to make a comeback.

I don't think PC market is in trouble at all. A HUGE ammount of great PC games is coming this year alone. True, some of them are made for consoles as well, but as long as they exist for PC as well I'm content. Some are, naturally, impossible to be made for the consoles.

IMO the consoles are going to become more and more like PCs again (console gamers demand more and more from the games) untill it will become absurd to have the consoles at all. This will be completely true once the portable computers are cheap enough...

The price difference between PCs and consoles are shrinking all the time. I just replaced my mums PC for about £250. (AMD Sempron 64 3100+, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb GeForce 6200) If I replaced the £30 graphics card with something like an nVidia 6800LE for £90 I'd have a PC that would play nearly every modern PC game that's due out in the near future and it would still only be £20 more expensive than the current cost of the X-Box 360.

I don't see why the PC gaming industry should feel threatened. Lots of people, including myself, regard a PC as a neccesity for other reasons, such as the ability to do wordprocessing and use the internet. I have no reason to spend additional money on a games console when my PC can handle the sort of games I like to play (eg X-Com, UFO: Aftermath, Medieval Total War).

Also, console gaming dates back to the late 1980s if one includes the first Nintendo Gameboys and commercially released games for early handheld computers such as the Psion II (which I still use!) and Psion III ranges. The PC gaming industry is still around - it has just suffered a little bit because of the effort Microsoft have gone to to take over the console gaming industry.

Incidentally, I remember when the first Nintendo Gameboys were released. They were originally marketed at adults, and several major Japanese corporations allegedly had to ban directors from playing them during board meetings!