Spore video!

Thanks for the link, Azrael. ;)

::

That's pretty mind-boggling :D

Spore's extreme customisability makes it an ideal sandbox environment. However, a foreseeable shortcoming is that people will eventually feel like they're roaming more or less aimlessly, without a real goal or a means to rovide for closure.

In any case I do find it a refreshing concept to embrace in a game and I'm looking forward to make some of my own 'watchamacallits'... ;) ;)

Maybe they'll add campaigns with goals and such. I found it extremely interesting that you start playing as an unicellular organism and can end up flying an UFO, abducting creatures and creating atmospheres on moons, underwater colonies, etc.

A drawback I see from all this is possibly the huge processor power this game will require, did you see those graphics?

I saw this video last year when it was released onto the Game Developers Conference website.

It's actualy taken from Will Wright's talk at last years Game Developers Conference.

It definatly looks like a fantastic game and I'm definatly looking forward to it.

As for the lack of objectives... I don't think that's going to be a problem, I mean, just look at the Sims games, there are no real objectives in those games but that doesn't stop them from being the biggest selling PC games of all time.

@Azrael:

Well, actually, and from what was aired when the title became known, Azrael, I think you shouldn't be breaking a sweat at all...

To quote from GameSpy's GDC 2005 coverage:

"

For inspiration, Wright looked to the "demo scene," a group of (mostly European) coders who specialized in doing a whole lot with a little bit of code. Their procedural programming methods were able to, for example, fit an entire 3D game in 64K, using mathematics to generate textures and music, etc."

(...)

"The editor was what Wright called an 'artist in a box.' It automates all the grunt work of modeling, skinning, and animating a creature. It's a "creative amplification of the player," allowing gamers to totally customize the experience even if they don't have any artistic skills. Moreover, because the creatures are defined simply and animated using these procedural techniques, the data files are incredibly small -- as small as 1K each! This makes creatures easy to move around, store, share with friends, upload to databases, etc."

[source]

Feeling better ? :D

In game development there are generaly 3 release dates, and with spore I think they go something along the lines of:

1) Official release date: When it's done.

2) Expected release date: Christmas 2006.

3) Actual release date: Spring/Summer 2007.

Duke Nukem Forever:

1) Official release date: When it's done.

2) Expected release date: You'll be the first to know.

3) Actual release date: You're not seriously waiting, are you?

Hehe, couldn't resist :D

@Azrael:

Well, actually, and from what was aired when the title became known, Azrael, I think you shouldn't be breaking a sweat at all...

To quote from GameSpy's GDC 2005 coverage:

"

For inspiration, Wright looked to the "demo scene," a group of (mostly European) coders who specialized in doing a whole lot with a little bit of code. Their procedural programming methods were able to, for example, fit an entire 3D game in 64K, using mathematics to generate textures and music, etc."

(...)

"The editor was what Wright called an 'artist in a box.' It automates all the grunt work of modeling, skinning, and animating a creature. It's a "creative amplification of the player," allowing gamers to totally customize the experience even if they don't have any artistic skills. Moreover, because the creatures are defined simply and animated using these procedural techniques, the data files are incredibly small -- as small as 1K each! This makes creatures easy to move around, store, share with friends, upload to databases, etc."

Feeling better ? :D

That's not really good news... You still can't get something for nothing. That coding technique saves on memory space, but substitutes processor power. That is to say, your machine needs to be MORE powerful to work that way. On the other hand, you have to do things this way, unless you wanna dedicate a harddrive to the game.

Forget the graphics. My machine would stall on the game engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting Will Wright talk at GameSpot (from GDC 2006). Take note of this one Thorondor:

"Most of the games I've done were inspired by one particular book I've read," Wright remarked, later adding that he had read over 100 books in researching Spore. Wright also cited several interviews he conducted with experts like Stanley Miller (a noted biochemist) and David Brin (a sci-fi author).

"Take note of this one Thorondor"

Thanks for pointing it out, Olav :D

No matter how many books I read, beyond inspiration, games don't seem to get any simpler to make. Good thing we have people like Will Wright to light the way.

p.s.: it doesn't escape me how good a source Mr. David Brin is in terms of looking ahead, BTW :lovetammy:

There was once a time when I wanted to make games (a stage all kids go through :lovetammy: ). Since then I've analysed most of the games of the time, and if you sat me down I could probably write their equivalents.

Unfortunately technology has moved on a bit since then. :D

• 1 month later...

GameSpy has a small Spore preview up.

Having read it I went on to look at some of the screenshots...

- Screen 1

- Screen 2

- Screen 3

TFTD anyone ? ;)

In all seriousness, though, this game's tools look like they would be just about perfect to recreate an X-Com strain of creatures and units. A craft like the Avenger, a Hovertank or Coelacanth submersible, Mutons, Lobstermen, etc. all seem well within its grasp.

*rubs hands and plots the making and unleashing of some Etherials* :P :P :P

The Joystiq website has a 40 minute, 400Mb, video of the E3 2006 Spore video including the part where Robin Williams has a go at creating a creature. Needless to say it becomes hilarious very quickly. It's worth it just for the quotes of "and this is a creature who can kiss his own butt" and "here's one that can do coke from a mile away". :P

In the same video there's also an interview with Robin Williams (who likes playing FPS games apparently) and an interview with Will Wright.

Find the Joystiq post with the video here :

https://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/11/joystiq-...right-and-robi/