Elder Scrolls IV gone gold.

Kernel

It would really be best for me if Oblivion didn't come out until I finish this class. Not sure I can resist it for a whole month and a half.

Someone as strong as you? Walk in the park :D

First review out. Hope it's earnest, and not the "We got the first if we guaranteed a good score" sort.

Play.com has the release date for Oblivion set as the 24th of March.

The collectors edition will be £29.99 and the standard edition is £24.99

Same goes for Amazon.co.uk.

The collectors edition includes:

* Special packaging - four panel digipak

* Bonus DVD featuring concept art, renders, screenshots and a behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of the game

* Septim coin

* 112 page pocket guide to the Empire

Play.com now has the standard PC edition of Elder Scrolls IV and the XBOX 360 version in stock and has started it's order processing. At a guess they should start shipping out to customers either later on today or tomorrow, so people should be getting their games by thursday or friday.

Still waiting for the collectors edition to show in stock.

Edit:

Looks like play.com have changed their website again to show release date as 24/03/06.

Lot of debate on the oblivion forums about when it's going to be shipped.

Morrowind's fun. When I'm not making potions that turn you into instant geniuses on all topics (literally 4 digit intelligence potions...), I've started constructing a series of apartments all across the countryside plus a rather neat abandoned hotel (with fresh lit candles/torches - strange, but very common in cRPGs) with Dwarf Mech statues as centerpieces (my explanation is that they're cardboard replicas with glue, resin ,etc holding them together. Sold by wood elves. The cheats.). But I think I might abandon this lofty project once I pick up a copy of Oblivion (and a computer that'll run it).

However, there's a lot of it that really stinks. For example, the incessant load times. Another example that really bugs me are the NPCs and the way you interact with them for example. Running around like a pillock in the countryside getting pecked to bits by cliff racers is generally more fun than interacting with the hive minded NPCs . Also, this game is sorely in need of optimisation. A smoother transition between the admittingly large maps would be great. I mean, even Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle didn't have such ridiculously long pauses, but certainly had a huge map. Plus this whole ash and giant mushroom theme does get tiring after a while. And what about the confusing main quest? What main quest?

The game's a pot pourri of good and bad. It still gets me coming back to it every so often. A fine bit of sadly time consuming escapism. There are better games out there - but there aren't many that let you have a lot of fun just wandering around aimlessly. :D

- NKF

News on the Elder Scrolls forum about play.com is that the standard edition has gone into "packing status" ready to be sent off to customers and the Collectors Edition will go into "packing status" tomorrow.

Same goes for orders from Amazon and other on-line retailers.

That put's the delivery date for people in the UK to be Thursday or Friday.

Edit: 22/03/2006

Collectors edition now being posted from all on-line retailers. :D

* Dances around room *

I got the 6800GT, but it get's a little slow if I set all the settings on max.

Little disapointed by the graphics of terrain in the distance, although there are people who are working on it to fix that.

Gameplay is excelent tho'

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I play Oblivion on almost min settings with constant crashes - but I still can't stop playing. My GF is goning to kill me...

I installed four (4!!!) mods to get it to work as I like;

- changed the leveling system (so that the bosses are tough and unbeatable on lower levels - it seemed weird that I was able to kill every huge monster right after start)

- more arrows retreived (from 50 to 75% - it's funny that you can shoot arrows into a stone wall and loose none, but when you shoot a deer half of them are gone... still didn't want to get them all back)

- deadlier sneak shot (otherwise sneaking was mostly pointless)

- rare items mod (people got incredible armour and weapons from road bandits so this mod reduces the occurance of these items)

"My GF is goning to kill me..."

Good of you to let us know. Seeing as she's gonna have some trouble pulling it off now - with so many privileged witnesses as to motive... :lovetammy::D

::

I'm staying clear of Oblivion for the time being. My rig isn't all that scrawny, but I've heard about the graphical glitches et al, which, along with the possibility of facing mild stuttering, might well have me picking up a Gold version sometime in the future instead.

p.s.: nice to see you still sticking around, BTW, SV :D

You should check out this mod collection.

It's what I'm using at the moment.

https://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=347507

As for graphics, I've just overclocked my 6800GT up to the speed of the ultra, now the games runs smooth.

I'm also running the new nVidia beta drivers that are designed to improove the performance of Oblivion quite a bit.