Top 20 Games of 2006

Slaughter

I am so disappointed with games nowadays that I don't even get half as interested on any of them as I would have before :(

I agree. It's been like this ever since 3d started making it's approach really. Suddenly graphics took precedence over gameplay, and after that it's been downhill.

@Ego Terrorist: Yeah, those are probably demanding games. I'm intrigued by Spore as well. Looks like some SORELY needed innovation.

I don't believe for a SECOND that Duke Forever is going to be finished. Ever. I've got a screen shot of that game in a mag dated 1998... Or was it '97? Something like that. It's a legend by now, so why spoil the fun and release the game?

BioShock should be good. Perhaps it'll run on an AMD chip (something I never managed with System Shock II, for some reason).

Other then that it's a list of sequals and games I've never heard of.

My interest has switched to console gaming as of late. The only up and coming game I can think of on that scene is Zelda: The Twilight Princess, as most of my collection of wanted games is complete (second hand shops, gotta love 'em - and consoles don't require frequent upgrades!).

Anyway, I've heard this new Zelda game has some ridiculous play time of somewhere over 100 hours. Was it 170? I hope so; that much Zelda is enough to make me drool.

I haven't been able to play any games at decent speeds since '99.

Duke Nukem Forever, finished? Where in the world did they get their info from? EVERYone knows it'll never be finished.

And you have to admire the Morrowind modders. The Stargate mod was particularly cool.

HOMM V ought to be just my ticket :(

I've heard it's been recently pushed back to a March 2006 release. Worth the wait in any case, IMO...

::

Runner up: BioShock

Prospective: Spore

I dunno man, HOMM4 was so devastatingly bad I almost cried as I played it. I mean, HOMM3 was such an excellent game, how could they mess up so badly with HOMM4? They even wrote in the manual that HOMM4 was the game they'd wanted to make all along!

Note: For an excellent HOMM-like experience, play Age of Wonders, which is a great turn-based strategy game of the same kind, with a little more flexibility (found own cities, design own artifacts etc.) I recommend getting AoW: Shadow Magic, the latest in the series.

"For an excellent HOMM-like experience, play Age of Wonders (...)"

Thanks for the tip, Gungadin. I've played the demo a while back and found it to be quite nice. :(

Don't let past mishaps keep you away from HOMM V, though. Nival is a very competent studio whose turn-based credentials will likely have them qualified as contenders to the TB strategy crown of 2006.

Definitely on my 2006 must-buy list!

I'm pretty sure Nival will make a 85%+ game. They have a team of 120 developers (which is a lot) and that trailer looks awesome (and they made it themselves). Not that either of these guarantees a good game, but there is a certain corelation. I suggest watching the trailer, it looks awesome.

On the subject of HOMM: There's an unofficial expansion pack named "In the Wake of the Gods" that adds a bunch of new creatures, an ENORMOUS amount of features, new artifacts, the ability to have "Hero" monsters able to gain levels, the ability of having regular unit stacks gain levels, the ability of leaving sentinels in the wide open, a new raw material that can be used to upgrade your mines (mithrill) and a whole lotta features I haven't even found yet!

It kicks ass. Mind you, it requires the "Shadow of Death" expansion pack. You can get HOMM3 Complete, a great bargain for about 10£. It includes SoD.

• 1 month later...

Well, since we're in the subject of games of 2006, those among you ever to have had a 'fling' with the Master of Orion series of games might want to snatch a copy of Galactic Civilizations 2 (slated for a late February release).

And, if you're really eager, Stardock has gone out of its way to pamper gamers that pre-order with this Collector's Edition (as reported by Adrenaline Vault)... :cool:

EDIT: just went gold!

Well, since we're in the subject of games of 2006, those among you ever to have had a 'fling' with the Master of Orion series of games might want to snatch a copy of Galactic Civilizations 2 (slated for a late February release).

And, if you're really eager, Stardock has gone out of its way to pamper gamers that pre-order with this Collector's Edition (as reported by Adrenaline Vault)... :cool:

EDIT: just went gold!

I've been playing the pre-release beta versions since early last year (I pre-ordered it about a year ago) and I will definatly agree that if you liked MOO you will love Gal Civ 2.

I've been playing the pre-release beta versions since early last year (I pre-ordered it about a year ago) and I will definatly agree that if you liked MOO you will love Gal Civ 2.

Is it much better than Gal Civ 1? I got that one but didn't like it a too much and the whole system was way too different from MOO.

I always thought MoO was a poor imitiation of Reach for the Stars 3rd Ed.

I've been reading about Galactic Civilisations 2 and it seems like a lot of effrot has been going into it. The guy behind some of it has been very open on the web site.

Is it much better than Gal Civ 1? I got that one but didn't like it a too much and the whole system was way too different from MOO.

I think it is better than Gal Civ 1. For me Gal civ 1 got a little repetitive after a while and there was no story line at all.

Gal Civ 2 is more like a cross between Gal Civ 1 and Moo 2. They've listened to the fans a lot and the long beta test has helped them make the game closer to what the fans wanted.

I always thought MoO was a poor imitiation of Reach for the Stars 3rd Ed.

I've been reading about Galactic Civilisations 2 and it seems like a lot of effrot has been going into it. The guy behind some of it has been very open on the web site.

Gal Civ 2 is made by a team of developers and they do work very closely with their fans.

They're probably closer to their fans with Gal Civ 2 than any other comercial game by any other developer.