What the heck?!

Okay could someone explain this please? Sometimes in my game a country joins the aliens for reasons I can not understand! My radar base is in Japan which joined the aliens so I doubt it happened to be that I didn't detect the aliens. So is it random or not? If it isn't could someone tell me what to do? I've had like 8 countries join!

My thoughts, without analyzing the games coding, or having much experience, but mostly through logic, would be:

If you get a high enough score, the game will auto-sign a country over so you have a more difficult time. That's the only thing I can really think of.

I have managed to obtain 10k scores for a single month once or twice before (after a busy month of cleaning up an infestation of alien bases, terror sites, a mass infiltration fleet, the regular supply ships, etc), so it's not entirely impossible to have 5000 a week.

But the game won't do that to you (signing over a country due to your excellent activity). No, an alien ship must have landed just beyond detection range.

I had a similar experience. I built a base smack in the middle of the US with a hyperwave decoder, and the US were pretty happy with my progress up to then (with the occasional cash bonus). There was no activity there all month and they still withdrew their funding and sided with the aliens. I get the feeling an infiltration fleet must have landed in Hawaii which was well out of my detection sphere, but I don't recall if the game treats Hawaii as part of the US.

- NKF