Drawn-out wars

Fishfins

I was reading the stories in the TFTD manual when I realised how they made the first alien war seem like a long, bloody campaign. But despite my attempts at fighting the aliens in the true spirit of the Rhodesian bush war, I've only managed to survive for a few years before the aliens were poised to take over South Africa, the only nation that didn't backstab me and join the aliens. What's the longest anyone's managed to survive? In theory, could the war go on for thousands of years?

I'm sure I've ventured into a third year before, though I've had games as short as five or six months (yes, it's possible with enough scientists, engineers and loot from alien bases :angry:).

Terror from the Deep on the other hand can go on for a lot longer. Fairly sure I've had 3+ with that, holding the aliens at bay for as long as possible.

Of course, my memory could be failing, but meh.

Just call me the king of procrastination. In one of my test games I'm up to April 2008! And I'm still going strong! :angry:

April_2008.png

In my case, the last country standing was Russia. Theoretically, the game should last as long as you want it to (assuming you do not meet any of the conditions for losing the game). :)

- Zombie

Hehe - like all the alien bases. I've come across the cluster of bases like the three on that pic there before as well. Kinda fun and easy for raids. You can have three skyrangers at a nearby base and just do raids all day long :angry:

I actually liked the extra challenge, but then again, my brother and I bought TFTD first, and then UFO when it was in the bargain bin about two years later :angry:

We just like great stories in games and well thought out game layouts, so both ere equally as fun, despite the extra difficulty. I did occasionally groan though when a shipping route got attacked in TFTD. That can get to be a bit much after a while :)

I didn't mind the challenge, I love a game that hits back, but it seemed to come at the expense of enjoyment, for me. Too many of the missions just turned into tests of endurance, rather than tactics. Shipping lanes, alien bases, artefact sites, they were all too damn long to be enjoyable after a while.

I especially hated those two-stage missions. The first time I did a Shipping Lane rescue, I spent an hour clearing the top layer, then was incredulous to learn I'd have to clear the bottom layers of the ship. The base missions were plain annoying... tentaculats and molecular control ahoy!

The first time I found tentaculats, I thought they were the psychic ones. (artifact site).

I ran around killing them, also blasting the 'harmless dinosaur men' as I found them.

I didn't find out what they really did until much, much later.

They are much more lethal then chrysallids, so you can see why I only have contempt for their land based cousins. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

My first x-com experience was on a dear friends 'terror from the deep' about 4 years ago.

He was a few months in and after watching and helping on a few missions he put me in charge of 'the next one' which turned out to be a shipping lane attack. I think i lost about 2 years from my life expectancy doing that!