Research

manuele

The weapons are simple enough. Research them as you get them.

One interesting note regarding the craft plasma cannon though: You don't need all three plasma guns to get it. You only need a combination of plasma rifle and plasma rifle clip, or heavy-plasma and heavy-plasma clip. Can't be done with the plasma pistol. Yep, it's a short-cut.

For new defense modules, you get each respective base module once you've completed the craft weapons for each respective tech branch (fusion defenses after fusion ball launcher, laser defenses after craft laser, etc).

Grav-shields come with the Avenger.

As mentioned: Any Navigator gives you the hyperwave decoder. And for the psi-lab: sectoid leader/commander or any ethereal. Word has it that other high ranking aliens will let you have the psi-lab, but I haven't experienced this myself.

The mind-shield should become available after researching the psi-amp.

The new ships are simple enough - power unit, ufo navigation, alien alloys and elerium will lead you down the right path. Basically all the craft components.

For more advanced armour you need the personal armour, power unit and UFO navigation.

For new HWPs, you need the Lightning (or was that firestorm?) plus the respective weapon tech's aircraft weapon. So, for example, the plasma hovertank needs the lightning + craft plasma cannon, and the laser tank becomes available when you add the craft laser cannon to the list.

END-GAME SPOILER

To enable the final mission, you'll need: Alien origins, The Martian Solution and Cydonia or Bust.

Alien origins - any live alien. It's preferable that you do not use commanders for this.

Martian Solution - any commander (and I believe this includes some leaders) after getting 'alien origins'.

Cydonia or Bust - another commander of any type -- or if you used a sectoid or ethereal commander for 'The Martian Solution' earlier, you can research this item straight away.

- NKF

edit: Zrbite -> Elerium, doh. :)

I meant that one sectoid or ethereal commander can net you both The Martian Solution and Cydonia or Bust.

Given you don't get a leader for The Martian Solution, you need two commanders. At least this is the case for floater commanders. Had to research another one to get Cydonia or Bust.

But I'll check again later just to be sure about that one about the sectoid/ethereal commander bit. Could be wrong about that.

- NKF