Does anyone still play UFO?

kai

I'm wondering how many people still play UFO as I don't. No matter what slowdown methods I try, I still end up with a geoscope that seems like Benny Hill on speed (would be funny if I could program it with that music).

So what X-COM games do you all still play (if any) and how do you slow the old ones down?

Hahahaha nice Benny Hill pun...

I play computer games in seasonal ways. Like sports games at the end of October until I eventually reach the oldies. But I do indeed have an ongoing X-COM UFO and Apoc game in progress.

My method of playing these games are simple. I have two partitions on my bedroom computer with XP, 98 and soon Debian. But since I hate that box I play the games in the study which only has XP. Since I have the old DOS version of UFO, I willingly got the CE and it works 75% most of the time just by using the patch. I had so much trouble with my original so I gave that up. Apoc is a bi^&h to run so I'm thinking DOSBOX or CPUKILL for that one... or even my bedroom

Oh the virtues of still using a Pentium I craptop..... =)

I play 1 and sometimes 2. Always thought the Apoc plot was just so lame and never touched it. Never been able to find Interceptor, and the rest are just meh...

I'm currently playing X-COM Alliance 3... or would be if they'd actually made Alliance back in 2000 like they were meant to!!! :P

Anyways, back on topic, I haven't even opened my 'UFO' folder since about March. As for actually really playing the game, and not just messing around, I haven't done that since September 6th, 1998! (according to my savegames' modified dates :D)

Funnily enough I made some progress in XCOM:UFO yesterday. I'm at about the 4th of July '99 in Superhuman and waiting on psi-amp research and psi-lab construction and my first Avenger.

Lost 5/6 guys (Firestorm with strike crew) against a landed Sectoid large scout, at night. The rookies got in lots of pistol practice - before they died. :P First time I've ever stormed a large scout - with two guys - and only found one alien at home. Accepted the losses and went forwards.

On the bright side, I'm rolling in Elerium from all these landed missions. I think I have >500 units between my three interception bases. :D

It's important to keep a proper retro DOS box for this sort of thing. Well, actually it's an emulator on my old Mac but I digress.

I play UFO and TFTD on a regular basis. And when I say "regular basis" I mean almost every day. The speed thing is a problem, but everything I tried to slow it down doesn't work. I just accept it. Unfortunately, now that I have made an association between X-COM and Benny Hill, I will always hear that music when I play. :P

- Zombie

Unfortunately, now that I have made an association between X-COM and Benny Hill, I will always hear that music when I play.

Make it real Zombie. Look I say it a million times, if you have Windows XP then use a)DosBox (which I think you told me that it doesn't work) or b)CPUKill.....

Running Dosbox through an XBox?

I think he meant runnign the collectors edition as opposed to Windows CE.

I guess it would just give the same message that you'd get should you try to run a windows program through a pure dos environment. 'This program cannot be run in dos mode' or something like that.

- NKF

Today I rarely play UFO Enemy Unknown due to that I do/did not like:

- 320x200 resolution for battles

- speed problems

- AI spawning points being predictable

- AI not able to have any sense to pick up a dropped item

- Wall bug for the Lightning, alien ufos, etc.

- The aliens battle editor images are human

- Bug that resets you into a battle you have already done

- Heavy Plasma being too powerful (auto shot and high amount of ammo)

- Items can be stacked on legs together and they don't fit the size (ie: Blaster bombs)

I admit I use to love playing UFO Enemy Unknown, but I found a game called UFO2000 instead, which is similar to UFO Enemy Unknown.