X-Com base attack

sgt caedes

Really? I'd love to have your luck. ;) Some of us don't get a break and get attacked after the very first UFO - before the anti-cyberdisc weaponry even arrives.

Anyway:

1. Do you have a Mind Shield? Get rid of it.

2. See any UFOs? Wait till they're as close to your base as possible before shooting them down. Do this as often as possible. Assaulting a UFO that's landed does not count.

That's a sure-fire way of attracting attention. :)

- NKF

Once an attackingrace attacks, they won't attack again until you attract their attention again. The exception is when you shoot down their craft with base defence, but that doesn't let you fight through a mission...

thanx for the advice :)

I almost immidiately had two attacks. The first one was shot down, because i forgot to sell the fusion defenses and grav shield ;). (it was an old savegame :grin: ). I had a lot of fun taking down aliens with proxy grenades only :) . I barely used those on the other missions.

However, your comments do make me wonder if it is some bug, because in the beginning of the game i couldnt have had a mind shield and i still wasnt attacked. :)

What do i have to do to make sure my bases gets attacked?

Whoa! I think this is the first time I ever heard someone wanting to get aliens to retaliate. It's funny to hear everyone citing the opposite ways to prevent those attacks. :)

However, your comments do make me wonder if it is some bug, because in the beginning of the game i couldnt have had a mind shield and i still wasnt attacked. ;)

Nope, no bugs. It's just the luck of the draw. If you are relatively quiet and don't do very much to attract attention, the aliens won't come looking. However, make yourself visible and the aliens will start to search for your base. According to the Official Strategy Guide (OSG by David Ellis), the chances of the aliens getting aggressive and searching out your base depends on skill level:

Beginner: 4%

Experienced: 8% (2x the beginner chances)

Veteran: 12% (3x the beginner chances)

Genius: 16% (4x the beginner chances)

Superhuman: 20% (5x the beginner chances)

As you can see, the aliens are more aggressive on the higher difficulty levels. This leads to them discovering your base assuming the same activity on your part. :)

I think the aliens just give up and consider it a victory since their objective has sort of been met.

No, seriously. I tried this out a while back and it seems like the aliens just ignore your other bases (until you tick them off by shooting down UFO's near your other outposts). That's the good news. The bad news is sgt caedes can't go to another base defense mission. ;)