Other gaming news

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you may remember the old "Fighting Fantasy" gamebooks by Ian Livingstone where YOU decided what would happen next! ;)

Well, I went digging and it just so happens, I found out "The Warlock of Firetop Mountain", is already available in interactive format for the Nintendo DS and will be available on iPhone this Christmas...

Kids today just have it all, don't they? I remember the time when we young'uns had to carry pencil, paper and dice. What's the world coming to? :D

::

I was also surprised to find Mr.Ian Livingstone went on to be founder of Games Workshop, and is now in the top echelons at Eidos... :)

Wow! I remember those books.

Only problem is you can't cheat with an electronic version and I remember as a kid never wanting to go all the way back to the beginning so you'd have your fingers holding pages open at the last 4-5 major decisions you'd made and decide which one to go back to if you mucked up :D

you'd have your fingers holding pages open at the last 4-5 major decisions you'd made and decide which one to go back to if you mucked up

That is the most awful libel I have ever had smeared upon my character. Plus, there's no way you could know because I only did it at night under the sheets.

Er, cheat at FF books, I mean. Oh dear, it's all gone wrong again...

• 1 month later...

Gimli mentioned this game a while ago and now 'Mode7 Games' co-owners talk some more about their indy tactical game Frozen Synapse over at LGR Nexus.

Quick quote:

"Frozen Synapse is a cross between Laser Squad Nemesis and Counter Strike - meant to be a deep turn based experience that is fast."

On February 4th 2010, Square Enix filed a patent with the US Patent and Trademark Office for "Deus Ex: Human Revolution", which in gaming reporting circles is seen as strongly suggesting that this will be Deus Ex 3's official title.

:D

Square Enix is also developing the game! That is good news, Ion Storm lost the right to make another Deus Ex game after Insipid War :)

• 2 weeks later...

A C&C without infantry squishing is heretical. Blatant forsaking of a lineage that started all the way back since Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty!

Add to it what else is said in reviews and this is a "finale" I'll skip without remorse.

Let's hope for a Starcraft II done in the best Blizzard tradition, then. :)

Considering they drove away the guys in charge of base building and infantry, all that was left was the guy who designs the vehicles...

And since he too was fired months before the game was actually finished but not allowed to leave until it was, he understandably has less than enough reason to do even a half-assed job.

Wouldn't you?

Been playing this game for three or four missions; it isn't terrible, but it is boring and I find most of it rather pointless. It seems like they made the game thinking exclusively for multiplayer, as the whole game mechanics seem to revolve around not dying, and getting massive armies built in seconds, literally, your Crawler (mobile MCV, heh, Mobile Mobile Construction Vehicle :)) can spit tens of units in about a minute or less, doesn't really matter what kind of unit, tanks come out of it just as fast as most infantry; all you need are Command points, which are basically a population cap for units and powers (yes, crawlers also have powers, like remote repair field, airstrike call, etc).

Also, to nickpick, the music is not C&C, it is nice but doesn't fit the music we've grown accustomed, it sounds a lot like something from StarGate.