Other gaming news

Nonsense, the first KOTOR is quite nice, not their best but nevertheless a very enjoyable RPG with an interesting story, the second one was a bit of a letdown in terms of storyline...

And yeah, it's THAT good ;) the plot so far is completely thrilling, gameplay is a mix between Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Mass Effect, music and voice work are superb IMO, and the world is very immersive, I haven't been hooked up in a game like this in a long time :)

I'd highly recommend trying Planescape: Torment if you haven't already. An older Bioware (but after BG 1) title but no less entertaining. Very re-playable and a pretty danged oddball game altogether, from the setting, concepts and even the hero is an amnesiac immortal near-zombie - all of this strangeness makes up much of its appeal. How many games offer you the chance to talk the final boss to death (literally)?

Icewind Dale is also good fun. Both I and II.

Dusted off shiny new (old) copy of Ultima Underworld II that I pilfered off eBay recently. Now there's old school fun. With the help of Dosbox, I may just be able to journey through the basement of worlds with fishing rod and bouncing boots again.

- NKF

PS:T was made by Black Isle, not Bioware. They used Bioware's engine (Infinity) though. The lead designer was Chris Avellone (now in Obsidian). It's a fantastic game which was sadly a commercial flop. You should... no, it's your duty to play it!

Nonsense, the first KOTOR is quite nice, not their best but nevertheless a very enjoyable RPG with an interesting story, the second one was a bit of a letdown in terms of storyline...

You didn't notice that the story for the first game was almost a carbon copy of Neverwinter Night's?

Bioware throw tantrum.

PS:T was made by Black Isle, not Bioware. They used Bioware's engine (Infinity) though. The lead designer was Chris Avellone (now in Obsidian). It's a fantastic game which was sadly a commercial flop. You should... no, it's your duty to play it!

Fantastic RPG. Can't think of one that even comes close.

You didn't notice that the story for the first game was almost a carbon copy of Neverwinter Night's?

With the totally irrelevant discrepancy that the neverwinter nights campaign was... crap? You're right, we didn't notice. (Some very good mods, though.)

Just played the L4D 2 demo last night on Steam which was apparently released a few days ago without myknowledge (seriously, they didn't copy me in on the memo :)). Worth checking out. Very much a prequel, but now with a choice of pistols and melee weapons (machete being the most gruesome, with frying pan coming in a satisfying second place as my favourite weapon ;)).

Yup, but as Knan said, with an excellent and interesting storyline :) the D&D 3.5 rules are applied to Star Wars in both KOTOR so of course not a lot of changes in the gameplay department, but a game is also comprised of the plot and I found the first KOTOR's to be interesting enough to make me beat it twice, both as light and dark :)

Neverwinter 1 and 2 are both very boring and rather forgettable games, Shadows of Unrentide and Hordes of the Underdark have significantly more interesting campaigns though.

Planescape Torment is a superb RPG which doesn't focus on combat, strangely; there is some combat, but the game revolves around character interaction and solving a few riddles here and there, your NPC companions' histories and how they relate to you are a second storyline by itself and it's a very fun one, no one can forget Morte, the badmouth flying talking skull ;) (his powers actually involve spitting insults until the enemy gets mad enough to chase him around).

• 3 weeks later...
Even EA must have grown tired of more of the same and didn't want n-th iteration to happen...

If that were true, what do you call the last 15 years of FIFA, Madden and NHL?! There will be another 15 years of that iterative junk, mark my words! And their reasons for cancelling Tiberium was pretty damned lame!

I'm a tad disappointed with Dragon Age after all, it uses a auto-level-up-monster scheme a bit similar to the one found in Oblivion, though a lot better implemented; at least I can feel like I grow more powerful, but it's still annoying to see monsters or enemies that just get tougher and tougher no matter what kind they are.

While everything else is truly superb, the gameplay is still inferior to Baldur's Gate 2, I'm afraid; now that was a world I could believe I was becoming more powerful, a goblin was a goblin.

Might have mentioned this before, but I guess it has been long enough so that it is fresh again: Progress Quest! Check the info page for more information.

Not as flashy as most MMORPGs or OLRPGS, and you can get hooked on it without even trying and still live a normal every day life. At least as normal as can be. Excellent user interface that you can learn by heart in less than a minute and your character will be out slaying beasts in no time. Has both an on-line and off-line mode and it's free!

Well, if anything it'll be a nice distraction. ;)

- NKF