Other gaming news

• 1 month later...

Sid Meier's Railroads 50% off - $9.95

For those of you who played Railroad Tycoon in your youth, this is the vastly updated relation to that title.

I always thought Railroad Tycoon 2 & 3 sucked a bit and tried for too much realism, whereas Railroads lets you do some crazy stuff and has that loveable Sid Meier-ness about it that you had in the original.

Worth checking out at this ridiculously low price.

[sales pitch ends]

• 2 weeks later...
Found an interesting piece of news: Possible new MechWarrior game.

Maybe, maybe not. If that really is a battlemech pictured, it's very likely a new design. None of the current mechs have an unusual body configuration like that, elongated missile-less Catapult body without the chicken legs.

Matri - I presume you've since seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9VBrPREN4Y - I advise any MechWarrior fans to watch this in glorious HD, and note the little bit of text at the bottom right of the video that suggests the majority, if not all, of this is in-game footage. Apparently things have come along way in almost a decade :)

And they call that a preview...

::

I could probably do the same without laying a single finger on the game. :P

Fear not Mr T - our very own FullAuto has his hands on the preview and will do it much more justice I suspect. That "preview" did very much come across as somsone who's maybe played HoI2 then read up on HoI3 and put some text up based on what new features have been announced rather than someone who's played the game I agree.

Oooh, good find Pete. I don't recognize the Warhammer, but it seems to be a mash of parts from the Awesome and Marauder battlemechs.

If you watch it again, you can see the Atlas running in under cover of the dust cloud. :P

Yup, I caught that the second time.

I did notice that a lot of Mech designs changed waaay back after MechWarrior 2 came out because half the dsigns were ripped off from Japanese Anime films. The Marauder is one that I thought looked a lot cooler than it's current version :P It's possible they'v had to change it again though I'm not sure - a lot of these Variant mechs end up looking a little different anyway.

Anyway, if that's supposed to be mostly in-game graphics then I'm happy. I'm also ecstatic that someone's taken it out of the hands of Microsoft. Don't get me wrong, they did a good job with MW4 and MW4 Mercs, but that was a decade ago and all they did since that was make some shoot 'em ups for the XBOX that I guess weren't too popular. It's now all back in the hands of one of the guys who actually helped create FASA Corporaation - they company originally behind the universe from what I recall. His interesting bio is here: https://www.smithandtinker.com/about/founders/jordan-weisman/

It's also worth noting that MW4 is going to be released for FREE if you check out Battletech.com so anyone who hasn't played it and doesn't ind some slightly aging graphics can grab that soon enough.

Good! There are still a zillion other Inner Sphere Mechs to choose from and no Omni mounts means you won't be able to build ridiculous missile boats or laser platforms I hope :P

Very much looking forward to the four player co-op they mention if they can pull it off.

After reading IGN's 6 page I terview the only question I feel they left out was "did you intentionally mak the beginning of the story quite similar to Battletech: The Crescent Hawks' Inception? I mean, the DC attack when this guy is out on a training mission with his instructor and try to take over his planet after all :)