Equipment slots

ShadowBlade

This may've already been asked before, but here goes: what's the difference between all the equipment slots (Backpack, Belt, Left Shoulder, Right Leg, etc.) that soldiers carry? I've been wondering, though haven't tested it yet, but I assume less TUs would be consumed by grabbing something from your shoulder than your backpack. What I mean is, the bigger the storage capacity, the larger the amount of TUs used to store/retrieve an item from there. If that's correct, then you'd get stuff quickest from your legs and shoulders, normally from your belt and slowest from your backpack.

What do you guys think?

Hand to belt - 8

Belt to hand - 4

Hand to shoulder - 10

Shoulder to hand - 3

Backpack to hand - 8

Hand to backpack - 14

Hand to leg - 8

Leg to hand - 4

I only tested this with grenades, though I doubt if the TU cost varies depending on the item.

I compiled this information a while back for the "Game Data from the OSG thread". JellyfishGreen was nice enough to arrange this data into a nice little table for quick reference:

Personal Inventory TU Management Table
From/To     hand    leg     belt    shoulder    backpack    ground
hand          4     4,6       4         3           8          8
leg         8,10     10      10        12          16         10
belt          8      10       0        10          16         12
shoulder     10      10      12         8          14         12
backpack     14      18      12        16           0         20
ground        2       6       6         4          10          0

Notes:

1) The two numbers in the hand/leg column: the first is for same-side and the second for opposite-side.

2) Zombie will be pleased to see there are only three zeroes, in the obvious places.  Hand-hand cost represents swapping to the opposite hand.

3) Belt/Backpack Edit: info supplied by Zombie has been added

Please also note that I changed the spacing around in the table to make things easier to read. The size or weight of the object has no bearing on how many TU these actions require. This should clear things up a bit. :D

Moving stuff around the belt/backpack is instant? Really shouldn't be. Oh well.

I've always had a nagging feeling that putting stuff on legs or shoulders could hinder movement. Never tested it; I doubt it is the case.

Bomb Bloke, one other way of thinking of the leg slots are that they aren't exactly stored where we think they're stored if we just look at the image ( I mean, the ankles?). I'm imagining hip slots (kind of like an extension of the belt - if they'd made them vertical, they'd practically be holsters for the pistols) and pockets down the shoulders (As opposed to strapping them across the pauldrons)

The way they're laid out is just... well, a bit of a hinderance to the player, really.

- NKF

Fair enough, but even so, if I was carrying a full belt with my hips also covered in ammo, I'd find it a bit harder to run around. I didn't really consider the stuff would go around the ankles, but that wouldn't help either. :lol: I figured it would make sense for items on the legs to effectively weigh more... I just doubt they do.

Well, the items wouldn't actually weigh more in the leg slots, since all the item weights are a constant. I think what you are trying to say is that an item on the leg slot should weigh down the leg more, causing the soldier to tire as he/she walks around. What that would mean is a separate encumberance equation for the leg slots. I really doubt there is any more than one encumberance penalty. Nice thought though. :D