The Default Base

Danial

I once posted (somewhere) a picture of the bottom-floor isometric of the default base. Everyone was asking if I could include the top floor... so I have.

Here they are:

Original:

https://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/pics/base.gif

Top Floor:

https://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/pics/base1.gif

Bottom Floor:

https://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/pics/base0.gif

(Edit: +400kb? Please link to big pictures! :huh: - BB)

Very nice, Danial. Very nice indeed! (You know me with pretty pictures)! :huh:

Recently, I was playing a base defense mission with the default setup and noticed something interesting. Look at a the Hangar in the lower left-hand corner.

It's only connected by the Small Radar System. If you only build modules connected to the upper right of the Hangar, a hangar door will separate your facilities.

That comes in handy if you want to sneak up on the aliens, without being noticed.

If you build facilities to the upper left of the Hangar, there is always an open corridoor leading inside.

Might be a good idea to only build facilities in the upper right, as it aids somewhat in base defense. :D

Yes you do. You always see it up close in the game so it's not immediately apparent. (of course, you'd obviously have built extra stuff onto it as well)

It's good to build in the upper left in general. All modules placed along the right and lower edges are plagued with the base disjoint bug.

- NKF

I've never had the fabled 'base-disjoint' bug. The worst I got was when I installed XcomUtil, and it mangled all my maps.

Another thing XcomUtil does is that it re-writes your default base layout if you let it. Does that clear up any confusion, SG?

As per say, it should not. However, recently I was playing some base defense missions and some structures near the right side of the map were separated by a wall. It's lucky that the aliens don't normally spawn anywhere besides the Access Lift and Hangars, because otherwise I wouldn't have finished the mission if an alien spawned within one of those "land locked" structures. I was able to punch through those walls with a Blaster Bomb to see if any aliens were inside, but luckily no. :huh:

So be very weary of structures near the right or bottom of your base. If your only Living Quarters is located at one of those edges, part of your squad could be separated from the fighting troops. As a rule of thumb, never, ever, ever build all your Living Quarters and General Stores near those edges, as you will need Blasters to poke your way back into the "main" base. :D

• 3 weeks later...

For reference regarding the base disjoint bug:

https://www.geocities.com/nkfarma/reference/bdb.html

(All my old links to it weren't working for some odd reason or other. Now moved it to a new directory)

So if you really must test for this bug, build modules only along the right or lower edge of the base and get attacked.

XComutil attempts to work around this problem by automatically knocking the walls out. All base modules start off with solid walls. The game just removes then when creating the base map. Apparently, it seems to have an off-by-one error that prevents it from knocking the walls out for the map blocks on the edges.

Hangars are by far the safest modules to build along the edges.

- NKF

• 2 months later...

hey danial, how do get the whole map view ?

I've seen pics by NKF (on his homepage) and some other ppl with image files of the whole battlescape.

I suppose there's some trick of software to do it, since it'll be really tedious to capture overlapping screenshots and join them together.

thanks.

And tedious it was! Yes folks, I did my uber screenshot of a 4x4 module mountain map screenshot by screenshot!

But that was back in the old days. Now you can view map with some map viewers. I can't remember any off the top of my head, but I think Daishiva's map viewer can do this - and actually, Bomb Bloke, didn't you have something along those line as well?

- NKF

And tedious it was! Yes folks, I did my uber screenshot of a 4x4 module mountain map screenshot by screenshot!

But that was back in the old days. Now you can view map with some map viewers. I can't remember any off the top of my head, but I think Daishiva's map viewer can do this - and actually, Bomb Bloke, didn't you have something along those line as well?

- NKF

Daishiva's map viewer is used for viewing internal maps only, I dun think it can view the save game maps.

As for Bomb Bloke's , I got it working after lotsa of problems, but I dun see any documentation(is there even documentation?) on getting a screenshot (since it's fullscreen java).

I'll go try prntscrn key later.

Thanks.

You mean the base disjoint bug? Only if the module that goes in that corner has north and west facing passages. Hangars won't be affected in that corner, but the north east and south west passages can still be blocked off.

See ye olde diagrame for base disjointedness:

https://www.geocities.com/nkfarma/reference/bdb.html

It's true for UFO, but I'm not entirely sure how well it works with TFTD. Note: if you've run XComutil's xcusetup, then it'll have done a bit of surgery to get around this problem - unless you kept a backup of the map files.

- NKF