Not Aftermath...

Slaughter

...but still great news! FilePlanet now have the English Silent Storm demo available! Silent Storm is a WWII game that should attract any turn-based Jagged Alliance fan out there. It's a 200 MB bundle of joy waiting for you at: 3D Gamers, Computer Games Online, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

It looks beautifull, but the turn-based element really pulls out the action and makes it annoying after a while,it looks like the whole battlefield is waiting for that one guy to take the shot.....it feels like going back in stead of an improved fighting element as we hopefully will see in U:A and LSN:E, seen a few screenshots of LSN:E, and it looks good. I also saw a screenshot of a globe, so it seems we will have another X-COM inspired game....duh, those guys invented X-COM.

I tried the axis level of the game, was pretty fun. Lots of different guns and the turn based action worked well. The most annoying thing was the extemely short range of grenades though... was like 5 meters or so, close enough to kill yourself if it were for real. Found a bazooka in the train and blasted my own mates with it... was amazed that the rail road actually blew up tearing the rails into pieces. Also you can boobytrap stuff which is nice... Gotta try more tomorrow.

Haven't had a chance to try it as much as I like yet, but I think it's got great potential. It's a step in the right direction anyway! And supposedly you can blow holes through the walls... :)

May be a issue the thing you mention Bastiaan. And the grenade issue is being discussed in the Nival forum I believe Sarnat. If you choose grenadier as class I think you'll find grenades quite useful... :blink:

Well, have you ever tried trowing a grenade? It's harder than you think, and you can't trow it really far actually, I can't believe that a game with such detail, graphics and realism in destruction of the surroundings falls back on the old turn-based thing, is this because they wanted to make the game like this or is this really the best way to play such a game, in X-COM Apocalypse you could choose between real-time or to play in turns, and I loved those shoot-outs while grenades flying all over the place at the same time, so why not in Silent Storm, but that's my opinion, I am sure there are real fans who say that I should shut up :blink: , and I played Ufo: EU for years with lots of fun so I can't complain.

Well, have you ever tried trowing a grenade? It's harder than you think, and you can't trow it really far actually,

Yes I have. I've thrown several varieties, live, practice ones with small explosives and dummy ones. And you can easily throw them 20 meters or more with reasonable accuracy (while standing). But in the game you can only throw them like 5 meters max. I think the devs just tried to balance them in the game as you have a certain edge in using them as a human. I've seen the AI use them but no where near the extent a human could use them... I guess would be a lot better if you could throw them further but the accuracy would be crap...

This games great, i only found out about Aftermath cause i was searching for more info on its release date :blink: ive played through each mission twice so far (did the allies mission with no nades the second time :eh: )

I just read some things that make me sad about Aftermath. No entering buildings? Kinda lame. No base customization (ie. arragning new facilities). No scientists? No engeneerrrrssssssssssssssssss. big : ( there. Sounds like its gonna be a dumbed down version of UFO defence, with pretty graphics (that dont look that pretty compared to Silent Storm).

I hope im wrong and was reading some old information, but the way it is now, if i could only get 1 game in Sept. i would go with SS :)

You can't enter buildings, that's true. So are the others to some extent. There is research etc., but it depends on the number of bases (research, manufacture etc.) instead of the number of scientists.

And hey, the first review is here. UFO:Aftermath got 86%... :blink: