What's the UFO/XCOM clone where you can play as the aliens?

freeborough

A couple of years or so ago I went through a process of trying all the UFO/XCOM clones out there to find one that I really liked. I eventually found one that was amazing, same graphic style as the original series but with some gameplay/balance tweaks, and you could play as the aliens. As aliens you had to perform abductions of cows/people/etc. to gain knowledge of Earth so you could assault cities, etc.

However, I simply cannot find it anywhere now! Does anybody know the name of this?

Thanks in advance.

A dead project with great idea. I hope Firaxis has something like that planned as it seems like a natural extension to the original story. One would think, but the games out there deal only with killing the aliens.

Yes dammit, we never learn the story about aliens who see a single species destroying a planet's biosphere, listen to suffering of all other life, and take action to save it all. Perhaps there would be no cow mutilation, though. ;)

Fortunately I still had this on my computer, I just didn't know the name of it so couldn't find it before. I don't know what extra work needed to be done on it but it seems fine.

Being able to play as the aliens is a genius idea. I'd like to see a version where you get to defend the alien world(s) from human invasion rather than playing on earth. As you say it could expand on the story and shine light on why the aliens are attacking us, like Enders Game.